If you’ve published a book, you already know the sad truth: it’s entirely up to you to promote it.
Whether you’ve published your book yourself or had a mainstream publishing company put it out, you—and you alone—are responsible for marketing and promoting it.
There are ways to make people aware of your book, to make them want it, refer it to others, and buy it. Here are a few of the most effective strategies:
- Create a website for your book
- Write a blog and post material from you book on it
- Be a guest columnist on other people’s blogs
- Participate in online communities
- Use social networking tools—Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.
- Send out an email newsletter
- Create and share podcasts and videos
- Get articles (with a byline that mentions your book) published in print or online
- Host webinars and teleseminars
- Give speeches and presentations
The best strategy is, of course, to use as many different strategies as possible.
I’m a big fan of giving speeches to promote a book.